How to get started with Kanban...
- Map your value stream (your development process).
Where do feature ideas come from? What are all the steps that the idea
goes through until it's sitting in the hands of the end-user?
- Define the start and end points for the Kanban system.
These should preferably be where you have political control. Don't worry too much about
starting with a narrow focus, as people outside the span will soon ask to
- Initial WIP limits and policies for changing or temporarily breaking them
- Process for prioritising and selecting features
- Policies for different classes of service (e.g. "standard", "expedite", "fixed delivery date").
Are estimates needed? When choosing work, which will be selected first?
- Frequency of reviews
- Draw up a Kanban board.
All you need is a whiteboard and some Post-It™ notes. Don't spend too
much time making it look beautiful because it will almost certainly evolve.
- Start using it.
- Empirically adjust.